Monday, May 1, 2017

Apheresis: One and Done


   It is 6:00 am right now and today is Day One of Apheresis, the process of taking blood out of my body and sorting out the stem cells that have hopefully spilled into my arteries and veins.  For the last week I have been getting injections that are designed to encourage the stem cells on an adventure outside of their world: to step out of the safety of the bone marrow and wade into the bloodstream where they can cruise around and be free with the other blood cells like they are all in one big Kroc Center Lazy River together.  But what they don't know is that they will be harvested along the way.
   Am I a little nervous?  Yup.
   Does this all seem like science fiction?  Definitely.
   Is there a good team of people out there to pray away my anxiety and any infection?  Certainly.
   Does my sovereign God still have me in his care?  No doubt.
   Then let's do this -- I will provide more of a report for you when my job is over for the day...

   It is 6:00 pm right now and today was Day One of Apheresis.  While I have not heard yet whether or not I need to go back tomorrow, I guess it was a success.  What did I do?  I sat.  All day.  The lines that were hooked into me did not allow me to leave the chair I was parked in for the day.  I gave up a full bag of stem cells but we will have to wait and see if what was harvested is enough.  If not, I go back again tomorrow for another good long sit time.  I am tired right now.  I feel a little unsteady on my feet but all in all I guess I am not much worse for the wear.  Now I wait for a phone call...

   ...and the results are in.  I gave enough stem cells in Day One to earn me a pass for Day Two.  This is good!  My numbers are still looking good.  Now what should I do with my day tomorrow?  I think I will go to school.  "Thank you Lord for good nurses today, for good counts today, for a good wife who made the day go by quickly...or relatively quickly.  Please keep this process on track now so that I can get better.  Amen."
   

No comments:

Post a Comment