Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Loving "Normal"


   Wednesday begins with a cloudless sky and a beautiful sunrise.  Thank you, Lord.  I am blessed.  Because of my fine performance in the stem cell production event on Monday (if I must say so myself), I have three days in a row without any further doctor's appointments or tests.  That means I am allowed to return to a shortened but somewhat normal day at school each day this week.  "Normal" is no longer normal.  "Normal" is good.  Again, I am blessed.  Two weeks from tomorrow is Transplant Day (May 18  -- "T-Day").  Then I re-enter the hospital to begin the stem-cell transplant process.  I will receive chemotherapy for a week, then one week later the transplant itself will take place.  And each day I go through another medical procedure or test or meeting is one less procedure or test or meeting that I have to go through.  It is great to have this medical team so close to my home and doing whatever they can to bring me to health again.  Blessed again?  Check.
   So where are we at right now?  Currently I have five more appointments between now and T-Day to verify this, that, and the other thing.  I am also feeling really quite good even though I would love to get rid of this cumbersome catheter that is embedded in the right side of my chest.  It itches and is annoying.  It has these dangly leads that seem to get in the way all the time.  (Note to self: I am reminded that there is no earthly reason for me to ever get jewelry implanted permanently in my ears or nipples or navel or any other random body part -- that just makes no sense at all!)  I still get tired easily but my endurance is slowly returning.  I am almost back to the weight I was when this all began, although I know I will be losing some poundage again in the hospital.  I still have a wife.  I still have children.  I still have a praying family.  I still have a job.  I still have working vehicles.  I still have a mortgage.  I still have love and encouragement and hope and a future.  I still gain pleasure from a cloudless sky and a beautiful sunrise.  I am blessed.
   Today's goal then is to lead a few checked-out and disinterested middle schoolers into noticing the joys of normal living, understanding the importance of doing a job well, and recognizing the gift of having God's blessings everywhere we look.  It is so obvious.  We just have to notice.  Hallelujah.

2 comments:

  1. Phil -- it's hard to imagine in the midst of cancer that I can agree you are blessed. You are a special man who the Lord is using and will use in new ways after this is over.

    PS. You never had a jump shot and still don't....check.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God inhabits your praises, Phil! You are preaching & teaching to all of us. Lifting you up to our Sheperd.

    ReplyDelete