Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Thoughts About Cancer vs. Chemo


   Were you ever in a situation where you were forced to watch some kind of athletic competition between two teams, both of whom you did not like and maybe they were doing a sport you didn't really appreciate?  For instance, imagine Ohio State vs. Nebraska in bowling...or the Green Bay Packers vs. the Minnesota Vikings in a poker tournament.  Who do you cheer for?  I guess I would pick the team I hate the least.
   I feel that way about Cancer vs. Chemotherapy right about now.  I don't like either one and I don't like the game they are playing inside of me, but I hate cancer more so I find myself cheering for chemotherapy.  Another long night last night with frequent interruptions, but each night like that I go through is one less I have to deal with.  Today is Day (-2) so we anticipate a stem-cell family reunion on Thursday.  I have one more day of chemo (today) and then the nurses back off a little and give me a day of reprieve before my little boys all get reintroduced to their friends inside of me.  I am still fat with water retention but have yet to top the 200 lb. mark.  My legs are sore, I cannot breathe as well, and I could whine a little bit more if I let it get out of control.  "This burden is yours again today, God.  I don't want it.  Thanks for taking it.  Amen."
   On to today.  What will I do?  Take my meds.  Walk (remember: 18 laps = 1 mile!) Read a little.  Write a letter.  See my wife (I hope).  Watch television.  Do a crossword puzzle.  Pray.  Drink.  Drink.  Drink.  Take in more chemo.  Nap. Visit the restroom a lot.  Get ready for tomorrow.  Heck, I think that Mississippi State is playing Gonzaga in team pickle ball on ESPN today.  I can hardly wait.
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Phil, I was introduced to your blog thru Marlys Klyn Jelsma. I am Kathy De Young Dykstra (Marge and Neal De Young's daughter). I remember you from our original "camping" gang! I too am a teacher (special education young adults), those teacher genes are strong aren't they? I am joining your journey thru this blog and will be praying for you. Tonights prayer is for good sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who did you cheer for Ohio State or Nebraska?? Ohio is cheering (and praying) for you. I look forward to the count down turning to positive numbers.

    ReplyDelete