Sunday, May 21, 2017

Little Things


   Sometimes things are good and sometimes little things get in the way of things being good.  Today I am tired and swelling up.  I had a long night last night because of chemo.  My nurse started it at 11:00 pm, it was done at 1:00 am so she had to come along and detach things.  Vital signs are taken at 2:00 am and at 6:00 am.  Two in-between trips to the bathroom (only two!) made for a short night of sleep and by 6:30, I knew it was fruitless to try for more.  Once up, I had a whole day in front of me.  I went for one of my four assigned walks around the hallway (18 laps for one mile, don't you know) and met two other folks out for their morning strolls-with-poles.  Scottie and Lynda and I had a wonderful conversation as we started out our day.  Both are believers and so our conversations became real quickly.  I think we were all encouragers to each other.  The nurses laughed when they saw the three of us putzing around.  I thought with our gowns and gloves and masks that we might be mistaken for terrorists or at least some version of a radical biker gang.  No such luck.
   But now my legs and arms are swelling up.  The doc says this is a common occurrence since they are constantly pumping fluids into me, but another med is supposed to help reduce the edema and make it easier to walk and use my hands again soon. We shall see.
   Mike came by last night and sat and talked for what seemed to be 15 minutes when it was really about two hours.  He is from Florida and made the impromptu visit following the funeral of his first wife's father.  Then Scott came by this morning and the same time phenomena occurred.  Both are godly men.  Both prayed with me.  Both have had cancer in their pasts and Scott is facing it currently again.  Both are athletes, fathers, Christians, in love with their wives.  Both have experienced loss. Both have experienced suffering.  Both testify to the goodness of God.  They are my kind of people.  "Thank you for friends like these guys, God.  They get it.  I appreciate that you prompted each one to stop by and visit  Amen."  
   OK, it's only noon, but now it's nap time.  If only these nurses would leave me alone when I am trying to sleep, the world would be a better place.  But that is one "little thing" -- all for the greater good.  Here we go.  One day at a time, sweet Jesus...
   

No comments:

Post a Comment