Sunday, May 7, 2017

Being Aware of Others


   Eleven more days until T-Day -- Transplant Day.  I still have a few hurdles to jump.  I must get through a heart stress test and dental clearance this week.  Keep moving.  Keep counting down.  The fear of the unknown can be worse than the pain of the known.  Forward.  But that's enough about me for now.  I move on to a more important issue:
   Many of you read this blog to find out how I am doing physically and what I am currently facing as I battle with this disease of lymphoma.  I am appreciative of that.  Thank you for upholding me and our family in prayer.  God is the giver of all things good.  He will continue to supply all we need.  But I also realize that in writing this blog, I have the tendency to become very "me-focused," to think what I am going through as Topic #1, to not even notice when others are hurting or have gone through difficulties.  I hate that about myself when I fall into that trap.  "Forgive me, Lord, when I get that way."  
   This week I found out a woman I know who recently lost her husband had been sick for about ten years leading up to her husband's death.  His death a few months ago was unexpected and now she is left to raise two kids.  I never knew.  I never asked.  Another person I know has been battling depression for quite some time and I never knew and I never asked.  Still another is the primary care giver for her father who was just recently given three to six months to live because of inoperable cancer throughout his body.  I found out, but have done nothing about it.  I don't like this about myself.  I have been blessed by so many people in so many ways during this rocky journey of mine.  Now I am again challenged to be a blessing to others, despite -- or maybe because of -- my current health status.  "God, make me more aware of the hurt and pain and sadness of other people.  You have given me hope -- and I have plenty of it to share with others.  Help me to be more willing to wade into the muck that others are struggling with and not just be concerned with my own muck.  Amen."
   Eleven more days until T-Day.  That gives me plenty of time to look out for the needs of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment