Wednesday, May 24, 2017

The Eve of the Reunion


   Today is Day (-1) and so tomorrow is the scheduled day for my stem-cell transplant.  That also means that today (as of twenty minutes ago or so) I have Lord willing received the last of my chemotherapy for a good long time.  In a moment I am actually going to try to eat something and that will be an adventure.  Connie is here with me and that makes things go so much better, but I ended up taking some drug called Ada-Van (not a transportation company from a Grand Rapids-area village) that put me to sleep for about 4 hours today and it was wonderful.  I have not slept that long in many nights.  God bless Ada-Van.
   So tomorrow comes the transplant -- around 11:00 am.  Folks around here love the smell of creamed corn because that what it seems transplants smell like.  I don't know why -- but I will investigate and get back to you about that.  Do I anticipate this like a Christmas morning?  Or like the last day of a school year?  Not really.  All of that kind of excitement is tempered by the fact that this is just one more step in the process.  I will still be here for two-three weeks following the transplant and then have to live for about 100 days with gloves and masks and other cool Halloween props.  It'll be a while, but it is a step.  One more step in the journey -- no sense rushing this thing along now.  Just keep going.
   But in other news:
  • Scott has received some great news!  His tumor has disappeared through prayer and chemo and while he will still have to complete his regimen, he is thrilled by this turn of events and so are we.  Surgery may still be pending, but get to be friends with him on Facebook to watch another miracle story unfold.
  • Howie received an emeritus award from Calvin Seminary this weekend and stood up like a giant to receive it.  Ephesians 6 mentions that with all the spiritual protection we have -- shield of faith, belt of truth, breastplate of righteousness, and so on -- we are called to stand.  To stand.  Howie stood.  It was a good thing.
  • Nancy is clear and continues to energize those around here.  I received a text from her today encouraging me to keep going.  We are now a team.  I cannot imagine that changing for the rest of our lives.  
  • Brandon had a little set-back but I don't know what is going on.  Keep praying for him and Danielle.  
  • How are you doing Val?  I haven't heard from you in a while.  But it goes to show that you nerf need to look far to find people to pray for.  Do that today.  Thanks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment