Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Science and Memorial Day


   I'll start today with a little of the science that is going on inside of me.  Day +5 is today.  That means I am five days past the actual transplant of my cells from me and back into me.  Prior to that I was reduced to a pile of wet rags by heavy rounds of chemo designed to eradicate the last strongholds of whatever cancer could be in my body.  I am always tired right now and never hungry.  Also everything in my body has been compromised so that they can begin the rebuilding process, which we hope can begin today.  Here are a few of the numbers for you medical professionals:
  • When I entered the hospital on May 18, I weighed 182 pounds.  Within five days I weighed 197 pounds.  Today I weigh 171 pounds.
  • When I entered the hospital on May 18, my WBC (white blood count) was at 4.26.  Today it is at 0.03.
  • When I entered the hospital on May 18, my platelet count was 211.  Today it stands at 18.
  • When I entered the hospital on May 18, my hemoglobin count was 11.1 and now it is at 8.5.  
    For some of you, those numbers make sense.  For me, it just means that I am always exhausted, never hungry, and frustrated to have to feel this way.  But feeling frustrated means expending energy and I have very little of that to spare.  There is your science lesson for the day.  Now on to more important things.
   It seems as though my grandson Jesse had a difficult time understanding the notion of Memorial Day.  In my daughter's small northwestern Ohio town, there was a parade yesterday.  Kids decorated wagons and bikes and I am sure it was all quite exciting.  My son-in-law was pulling Jesse and his little buddy in a wagon for the parade and as they walked the streets and waved their American flags, Jesse was yelling out, "Hosanna!  Jesus is coming!"  Indeed he is.  Never before has anyone confused Memorial Day with Palm Sunday.  But then again, perhaps we should.

No comments:

Post a Comment