Thursday, December 1, 2016

Happy Birthday To Me!


   Today I turned 57 years old.  My mother likes to remind me that I was born in a blizzard (when I first remember hearing the story, a flake of snow was in the air, then for a while the story of my birth included a snowy day theme but as the years have gone on the weather conditions from December 1, 1959 have somehow worsened).  While I was genuinely blessed with many cards and notes, my wife surprised me with a scrapbook of notes and thoughts from people that have been a part of our lives over the years.  We have had the opportunity to be a part of several wonderful churches since we have been married (six of them), several schools that I have taught at (four of those), and several different non-profit ministries that with which we have had intimate connections (Pregnancy Resource Center, Camp Roger, Upper Peninsula Bible Camp, to mention a few).  What is predictably fascinating about organizations such as these and the people involved in them is how they rise up to face whatever challenge an individual within the organization is facing.  I have seen it happen to and for so many people.  Now it is happening to me.
   It was nearly 35 years ago when began my teaching career at Bellflower Christian School in California -- I have received "get well" cards from those people.  Some of my best friends to this day were people I taught with at Creston Christian School (Grand Rapids, MI).  In the last few weeks they have blessed us beyond what one could imagine.  I taught for only four years in a small Christian school in rural Michigan, Northern Michigan Christian School (McBain, MI).  The shout-outs, bests-wishes, get-wells, keep-in-touches and other notes is amazing -- per capita these people pour out more love than any group of folks I have ever met.  And now Rockford Christian School (Rockford, MI)?  You people are ridiculous -- there is nothing a man could do that should ever earn him the right to receive over $1000 in gift cards -- but that is what you all offered me after knowing me as a teacher for maybe two months.  Ridiculous.
   I bring this all up because I had my port inserted today.  "What a lousy way to spend your birthday" was a sentiment I heard more than once.  It is through this port in my chest that they will start filling me with chemo next week.  While the world would look at all of this and wish to pity someone like me, I want to go on record as saying that this experience has done so much to remind me how much love, kindness, grace, and caring there is in the people that I know.  While I never would have wished for cancer, the intensity of the blessing I have experienced from God's people has been overwhelming to the point of literally bringing me to my knee in humility.  Oh and come on, some of you are just crazy nut jobs with how much you have blessed us -- Connie, Julie, Julie, Seth, Tim, Eric, Diana, Gary/Myra, Roland/Sarah, Sarah/Olivia, others -- you know who you are and you know what you've done.  Bless you.
   Today I turned 57 years old.  I got a port for my birthday.  I also have the blessing of having an army of friends.  It has been a very good birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment