Thursday, December 15, 2016

Ed and Nancy


   Another day, another liter of fluid.  It has been a week since my first chemo treatment and today was to be a simple check-in, but -- alas -- since the blood pressure was a little low, aw heck, why not add one more liter of fluid into Phil's carcass.  But I am glad I went in.  My Virginian daughter, Abby the R.N., was able to accompany me and ask all the questions that my finite mind does not remember to ask.  It has been such a blessing to have our daughters here helping us negotiate these first few days of our new normal way of living.  But I also received the OK to try school for a day tomorrow which has me really excited.  Whether or not I will be an effective teacher tomorrow is a moot point...just getting back there makes me smile.  Get ready, gang -- Mr. Phil is coming back to get you all back into shape (a HUGE special thanks to Rachel, my primary guest/replacement teacher at school who just took over for the last three days without any lesson plans -- Rachel, you are the best and John better know how blessed of a man he is).
   I saw Ed at the treatment center today.  While it is usually good to see a familiar face, one never wishes to see a familiar face at the cancer treatment center.  Ed told me his wife Nancy was recently diagnosed with a different type of lymphoma than what I have and in fact just received her port and first round of treatment a few days ago.  After getting myself hooked up, I went for a walk with my pole of fluids ("the Tower of Power") and found Ed and Nancy.  I have known these two wonderful people for years. I was their son's sixth grade teacher perhaps 25 years ago (ah, probably more than that but who really cares).  We have run into each other in different places over the years: our girls played basketball together, I helped with an event Nancy ran at Camp Roger, and most recently, we attend the same church as they do.  While sharing our "what-brought-you-to-the-clinic" stories, Nancy and I were both wondering why God has allowed us to go through these similar diseases at the same time.  We have no answer.  There seldom is.  But we have resolved to cheer each other on as we battle this thing.  Let's go, God -- and don't forget to heal Nancy while you are healing me.  And don't forget to heal me while you are healing Nancy.  I now have another partner in this fight.  I am blessed with partners.  Thanks again everyone.  Let's go.

1 comment: