Monday, December 26, 2016

Levi, Death, and Relationships


   My new friend Levi is visiting us this afternoon.  Levi's mom works with Connie.  Levi is here because yesterday his grandpa had a massive heart attack and died.  Levi's mom and dad, Olivia and Jared, are currently meeting with the rest of the family to go over the "what to do now" list of things at the funeral home.  Do you see?  Do you see?  Everywhere one looks, one can find people going through hard things.  None of us are immune to the heartaches of life on this side of heaven.  I am sitting in a warm house on a damp winter day knowing I have my next round of chemo coming in a couple of days but I am warm, I am loved, I am cared for, I have my family -- and Levi -- home with me.  Why do I mention this on this day after Christmas?
   There are times when we think we have problems...and they really are not problems.  A Facebook post from a young woman showed up the other day.  She was bemoaning the fact that she has a cold and is pregnant -- at the same time.  The post included the phrase, "Can't think of anything worse."  Really? Is your world that small that this is a problem worth notifying the whole world about?  You cannot really think of any worse situation?  Get your eyes off yourself and understand there is far greater suffering going on in the world than simultaneously being pregnant and having a cold.
   But I also mention this to remind myself and maybe you, the reader, that life is all about relationships.  Love the people in your family.  These folks may not always be in our lives because God may choose at any time to take any of his saints home with him.  Celebrate the love we have in our lives.  Recognize these relatives and friends as genuine blessings, even if little squabbles and petty arguments cloud the relationship.  Make things right.
   Levi is here right now and without saying a word he has reminded me of joy and family and life.  By the way, he is a really cute kid too.  God is amazing.  Wanna play Lincoln Logs or watch Daniel Tiger?  I think I will let Levi choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment