Tuesday, December 6, 2016

At the Starting Line


   When I was in high school, I was a runner on a very good cross-country team.  We were nicknamed "The Black Pack" because of our black uniforms and because our top six or seven guys were often across the finish line within a minute of each other.  As I think back on those days, I remember the camaraderie we had as team members.  I remember the myriad of trophies we acquired.  But I also remember the anxiety and nervousness that always seem to be a part of my very being at the starting line.  I was ready, I had stretched out, I knew what our plan was and how we would run the race, I knew the course, but the worry was palpable.  It was just anticipatory energy, but honestly I hated the starting line.
   Right now we are two days away from the start of chemo...it seems like I have been in this waiting mode forever but in actuality this process has moved quite quickly.  With no known signs of this disease at the end of August, it is a fast-moving rascal and it has only been about six weeks since my very first doctor's visit regarding those weird bumps in my neck.  Since then I have been poked and ported, medicated and inconvenienced, blessed and humbled.  But honestly I am ready to get this show started.  I feel the pre-race jitters as I write.  I realize the effects of the chemotherapy may be more than uncomfortable (just like a lot of those races on hilly courses) I am ready to get this party started, even if the side effects stink.  The discomfort will mean that something is being done and that the waiting and the waiting and the waiting will be over.  Let's go.
   Pray for peace.  Pray for family.  Pray for healing.  Pray for strength.  Just pray and know that through this experience that I am going through, you too have the opportunity to grow closer to God during this experience.  Watch.  The waiting?  It's all temporary anyway.

3 comments:

  1. You and your family have our prayers, Phil! He has this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are praying for you and trust the great Physician will heal and protect you

    ReplyDelete