Wednesday, December 14, 2016

The Cancer Survivor


   I met a woman the other day at the treatment center who introduced herself (I forgot her name) but quickly followed that up with, "And I have been a cancer survivor for three years now."  I am really glad for you, I thought, but I had neither the emotional nor the physical energy to endure what was promising to be a long story.  So I politely returned to my magazine and may or may not have pretended to take a short nap.
   This encounter has me thinking though about the day I emerge at the other end of this journey I am in right now.  With God's blessing and his work, I will emerge far healthier in body and stronger in resolve.  But I am also thinking that when I emerge, I will be hesitant to add that "cancer survivor" label as a headline to my introductory remarks.  I mean, I will be thankful for family and a strong support team that went through this with me and helped me to become stronger.  I will praise my God who saw me through the hard times and lifted me up.  None of that will be diminished.  But when I emerge, I want to make sure people on the other side know what is more important about who I am than merely a "cancer survivor."  "I am a child of God...I am a proud father of six children...I am the fortunate husband of a beautiful woman...I am a teacher to 39 great students..."  Each of these monikers is far more important to me than the one that says "cancer survivor."  I don't want to give cancer too much credit, too much sway.  It can influence me, but it cannot define me.
   It's early in the morning.  I didn't sleep as well last night as I should have.  I am stammering.  But you get the point?  I will not allow this experience to define my existence, but perhaps I should be humble enough to allow it to temper me.
   "Hold me Jesus, 
I am shaking like a leaf.  
You have been King of my Glory, 
Won't you be my Prince of Peace?"  -- Rich Mullins

No comments:

Post a Comment