Thursday, December 8, 2016

The Chemotherapy Odyssey Begins

   Chemo Day #1 is now a part of my history.  While I have very little to compare it to since I have never had cancer nor chemotherapy before, it seems to have all happened quite uneventfully.  Oh sure, I have heard the horror stories of what can happen and I have no way to know exactly how my body will be reacting in 48-72 hours, but every day is a blessing and Chemo Day #1 has already been a blessed day.  Want proof?  Here it is:
  • My day started off with a 6:00 am gathering of my Band of Brothers -- Tim, Tom, Tom, and Jim.  We have met together weekly for 17 years -- well, that's when they let me join.  They had been together for a while before that.  Each Thursday morning for one hour we get together to ask the hard questions, to pray, to encourage, to bless each other, to kick each other in the rear when needed.  Some folks would call this an "accountability group" which sounds more like Christianese code language.  But these guys have been a blessing to me for a long time.  This morning they spent time praying for our family.  I always leave these gatherings feeling blessed, loved, and recognized as a man striving to live for Jesus and his family.  Thanks, Boys...you know I love you and always will.
  • While sitting in the treatment center, I received a text with the photo of twenty beautiful seventh-graders wearing bandannas, noting that they were thinking and praying for me today.  (You all look good in those bandannas too -- just sayin' -- although I should probably give a couple of you a quick lesson in how to actually wear one well). Thanks you all, you know what I think of you -- you make me smile.  All.  The.  Time. 
  • I met Wendy today.  Wendy is my nurse for the next 18 weeks and ten years ago was my wife's chemo nurse when Connie was going through her bout with cancer.  It was a family reunion right there as we all caught up on each other's kids and lives and such.  Wendy has already been a blessing to my family -- looks like she has to do it all over again now.
  • I met Rick today.  Rick was the patient next to me who has been coming to the treatment center two days a week for 1 1/2 years.  Straight.  No breaks.  Rick's condition is terminal but he was diagnosed he was told he had with months to live -- that was nearly two years ago.  Rick is a Christian who knows that heaven awaits but still is scared about it all.  Honest Christians are the best kind.  Thanks for blessing me today, Rick.
  • My friend Scott came by last night.  Having had kidney cancer eight years ago and battling through chemotherapy, he gave me some honest insights about what it is all about and offered a metaphor to remember about allowing God and his sovereignty into my life -- and not trying to replace him with other things and other people.  Scott, your words and prayer were a blessing.  It has now officially started.  Thanks.
  • My brother Gary is planning to come by tonight and just hang out and eat my food and such this evening.  He doesn't have to...he just wants to.  Thanks, brother.  
  • Oh, and I got to hang out with a beautiful girl much of the day too (see photo).  She is gorgeous.  And by the way, she is the one on the right.  
   See?  Quite a day.  Thank you, Lord!  I am a blessed man.  

7 comments:

  1. Live you, Phil. Thanks for Phil-ing us in on your ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phil, I have personally never gone through what you are and I have been following your blog , and I'm never sure what to say. But you are in my prayers and thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you as you begin this journey and get to finally fight your cancer. I know it feels good to begin attacking it! Praying, praying, praying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Crossroads' staff/elders are praying for you regularly. Please let us know if you and your family need anything.
    God has this!
    Psalm 91

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing these winsome reflections. They bless me. Lifting you up to God who knows how to bless and guide you perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sending prayers for strength and encouragement !

    ReplyDelete