Saturday, December 17, 2016

A Letter to My Students


Dear Rockford Christian Middle School students,
   Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to come in for the day yesterday to pretend that once again I was your teacher.  I made the return to Room 129 without being even semi-adequately prepared to be a worthwhile teacher for you.  The papers were not graded, the plans were not well-written, and I wasn't even sure that I was going to make it through the day without taking a nap or running to the bathroom to throw up.  But you allowed me to resume the role of Teacher, you recognized me as being an important part of your experience, and you listened intently as if I had something important to say.  You blessed me with yet another set of Christmas gifts.  You made me smile (Aly) at your silly joke.  You made me laugh (Zack) during our conversation about how handsome I am.  You made me happy (Caleb) to be a part of your birthday celebration.  You made me satisfied to be back home (Sophie and Bernadette and Ocean and Morgan and Olivia and Jess) at the volleyball game when I was unable to distract you on your march to victory over the teachers at noon hour.  You blessed me with your talents (Mr. Ross) as we tag-teamed on some of the lessons, teaching  together.  You all made me feel like I belonged with the fist bumps, the smiles, the giggles, the fun.
   Oh, I'll be back.  I'll be better.  Someday again soon I'll feign anger at some of you if you forget your homework.  Someday again soon I'll show real anger if you are unkind to one of your fellow classmates.  Oh yes, and I will be back when we have that volleyball rematch in May.  But that First Day Back had to get out of the way.  That First Day Back that is filled with uncertainty and insecurity and "can-I-do-this-again?" That First Day Back of remembering what the schedule was and where I left those hot lunch cards.  That First Day Back...you all made it easy for me.  Thank you.

Love,  Mr. Phil

No comments:

Post a Comment