Wednesday, December 28, 2016

The Boys


   Tomorrow is my next day of chemo.  My brother reminds me not to look at it as Round Two of six rounds but instead look at it as the Big One -- just one of these at a time, not just one more step but the task is One: tomorrow.  Let the rest of them wait until I get there.  I will get there, but I don't need to think about the rest of the days.  They will be there and I will be ready.  Tomorrow is coming and I will be ready for that one.  That is the only one I need to think about.
   Tomorrow is a blessing from God.  Each day we live we have the opportunity to live a life given to us by God.  I will begin by seeing my boys at 6:00 am.  This group of warriors have met together weekly for 17 years.  Tom and Tom and Jim and Tim and I have battled together as brothers for a long time.  We were together when Jim went through his several surgeries and his daughter's death.  We were together when Tim was fighting through a marriage that ended and then witnessed together as God brought a wonderful woman into his life and they married on a snowy day in Lowell.  We were together to celebrate Tom's first days as a grandpa.  We were together with Tom as he went through two bouts of lymphoma ten years ago.  We have been to the weddings of each other's children.  We have laughed together, cried together, done life together.  Tomorrow my boys will see a brother who now has no hair -- well, the last of it is falling out right now -- but a brother who is eager to embrace whatever comes.  Tomorrow I see them again and I will again gain strength from each of them and from the God we serve together.
   Tomorrow will have its ups and downs.  Tomorrow is a blessing.  Tomorrow means each of us is one day closer to heaven.  Enjoy today, use today, bless others today... but look forward to tomorrow. It will be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment