Monday, November 28, 2016

Apologies and Explanations


   Monday...back to school, back to work, back to normal.  I found myself this morning eager to get back to the students and to for at least a while pretend all is well.  I am also finding that harder to do all the time.  While I get the port inserted on Thursday, one would think that I have three days of "normal" to get through, but today was hard.  I find myself with two overriding feelings: my physical self does not have the energy to do my teaching job as well as I would like, and I find my mental self being out of focus when I do try to do my job well.  My mind wanders to thoughts like, "What will this journey be like a few days from now?  A week from now?  A month from now?"  I still am operating on the "One day at a time, sweet Jesus..." motif, but it has become more difficult to keep that mantra in focus.
   To my students: I am limping through some things.  What I have to teach you is important even if I don't have the typical energy that I would like to have when presenting you with topics such as the importance of Deuteronomy or the nature of polygons.  I am sorry.  Be patient with me.  I am doing my best with what I have right now.  But also remember that it is your job to do the learning -- I am here to guide you.  Let's keep going together.  Both you and I know that it will get better.
   To the parents of my students: my love for your children has not wavered.  They have been patient, amazing, incredible, and necessary supports for me.  You have blessed me with not only the opportunity to be the teacher of your children, but with the ways you have supported my family as well -- raking leaves, bringing food, offering prayers -- all has blessed us in ways you will never know about.
   To my school community: you have offered me a glimpse of what it means to be one of you.  You continue to amaze me with your support and concern.  You bless me with your questions, your support, your presence.  Thankyouthankyouthankyou.
   So here we go.  I have to get some grading done.  I have to prepare lessons for tomorrow.  I have to get a nap.  I have a lot of "have-tos" on my list.  I will do my best.  Your patience and understanding will be needed as we fill in the gaps...together.  "One day at a time, sweet Jesus..."

No comments:

Post a Comment