Sunday, November 27, 2016

Pete's Gift


   While I was at one of my many doctor's appointments last week, I met two people in the waiting room that I immediately recognized as the parents of a boyhood friend.  Pete and Millie were there because Millie is enduring the ravages of cancer as well, but the perseverance evident in them is something that I too wish to emulate.  But Pete, a first-generation immigrant from the Netherlands and a WWII survivor, had found an old prayer journal at his mother's home, still written in its original Dutch language.  He had taken the time to translate the journal into English and gave me a copy of his work.  The book, small like a postcard, is simply entitled, "A Prayer for Every Day."  Here is the entry for November 27:

   "Heavenly Father, help me that I today without interruption may gaze on you.
       Grant that the bad and the low will not pull me down.
       Help me to walk as a child of the Almighty and all-powerful one who knows
          that his citizenship is secure in heaven."

   Many have gone before me who have endured far more than I am being asked to endure.  I have good doctors and a good prognosis...many do not.  I am surrounded by a good family and a lot of support...many do not.  I have a hope and a future, guaranteed me by a loving Father...many do not. I have fresh water, good food, a solid roof, the blessings of wealth...many do not.  While I echo this prayer, I also am humbled by all that I have and understand that I am blessed beyond what I deserve.  Take the time today to be thankful, not just for the list we rattled off around the Thanksgiving table earlier this week, but for the basics that many of us take for granted.  Thank you, Pete.  Take care of Millie for us.

1 comment:

  1. Pete Buma. Hadn't seen him since I was 13 years old. Ran into him about a year ago and was blessed by the same book.

    ReplyDelete