Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Fatherhood


   Another new day - this one is a Wednesday - and I have some sneezing and wheezing going on.  This is not a good thing when one is dealing with the effects of chemotherapy because the medications knock down a lot of things in the body, including the white blood cells that fight off illness.  So I supplement with other additives and keep going.  But hey, it's a cold.  Let's go.
   I have decided to read through the Psalms again.  I have a new Bible to write in and I am looking for something to underline or highlight that grabs my attention in each psalm, that points to truth, that crystallizes some facet about who God is.  Psalm 10:14 says, "But you, O God, do see trouble and grief; you consider it to take it in hand.  The victim commits himself to you; you are the helper of the fatherless." When looking at these verses, it is always dangerous to pull something out of context or to individualize a passage to make it fit one's own situation.  But it is also interesting to me how often when one in trouble one is considered to be "fatherless."  Ah, the role of the father...I don't think I have the energy today to start poring over all that this entails.  Maybe tomorrow.  I think the simple reminder for me today is that I still need to be a good father through this experience, even if I don't have the energy to move ahead.  God, give me the strength to be a good father today, despite the powerlessness I feel.  
   

No comments:

Post a Comment