Monday, January 30, 2017

There's Power in God's People


   It's a Monday.  It's strange how unless one has a regular schedule and set of habits that go along with a week, one can lose sight of both what day it is and why it is really important.  For a quick health update, I am doing well.  Achy, tired, not hungry, but well enough to think that I should be somewhere else doing something else that is far more worthwhile than what I am doing.  I think I have to go to school for a day or two this week because otherwise I will go crazy.  But I also know that when I get moving a little too much, I get tired quickly and what seems like permanently.  We went to the museum with my two-year-old grandson yesterday afternoon for just an hour.  He loved it but his method of checking things out demanded much movement and little reading.  There were also times when the only way to deal with his viewing habits was to physically pick him up and move him along.  I came home and fell asleep.  I have never been a napping person, but this cancer experience has changed that in a big way.
   We continue to be blessed though.  Thank you.
  • Scott came by and just talked old times and basketball and camp and future.  It was good.
  • Another Scott came by and reminded me that even though I feel like dead weight around here, my mission should be to live this life right now courageously.  Maybe this blog will touch someone.  Maybe my reaction to this or that will make someone sit up and notice that this thing is not done with my strength but with a God who has asked me to go through this.  Maybe it's a note, maybe it's a look, maybe a response on Facebook that picks up someone else at a moment when they need it.  I guess it's a challenge to just be faithful in all I do.  Maybe that's a reminder for each of us.  
  • Kyle and Michelle gave us a new table for our kitchen.  Gave.  Michelle works with Connie and was talking about an extra table they had made as they are preparing to get married.  They brought it over yesterday, moved it in, assembled it, and now we have a new table.  
  • Maria, a former student, left an encouraging word for me and told me that I was strong.  Me?  She is the one who has gone through life with a host of physical problems - from birth.  She is the one who defines strength and positive attitude in the middle of things that are not positive, and yet she tells me I am strong.  That little interchange meant a lot.
   Who does these kind of things for a guy with cancer and his family?  God's people, that's who.  We received five more "get-well" sorts of cards in the mail today.  See?  All of this points to how blessed we are.  As it continues and continues it also continues to amaze.
   Today I am going to take a walk to the bank.  When I come home, I will switch the laundry over and empty the dishwasher.  Maybe I will paint a chair to match our new table.  Maybe I will even fold the laundry and put it away.  Then...well, probably a nap.  No, then definitely it will be nap time.  It sounds like a Monday to me.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment