Thursday, July 20, 2017

The Guy at the Beach

Dear Guy-at-the-Beach,

   While I did not lose sleep over our encounter from last evening at Ottawa Beach, your reaction to seeing me sitting at that table by the pier leaves me stymied.  In the day when anti-bullying campaigns make front page news, your actions proved to me that we have yet to eradicate sheer stupidity in this country.  As you walked by me, I was gloved and masked just as I am supposed to be to protect me from germs or dust.  Your comment about me being a "stupid germaphobe" who was "worried about the AIDS virus or something that might be floating around," cut me at first.  I soon allowed the shock of the comment to pass by, but then anger rode in.  I know -- being the first-rate idiot that you are should remind me to dismiss your moronic response immediately.  After all, you may have been raised in a home where you were never taught that being such a jerk is unacceptable.  Therefore, perhaps you have learned that you should not be blamed for your actions.  That is what our world tells you.  And I get it -- you were trying to be funny for the young 20-something friends you were hanging with while offering your worthless comments in a purposely loud enough voice for me to also hear.  The encounter forced me to make a snap decision.
   I opted to ignore you.
   Why argue with a fool?
   It was the right choice, but I will tell you I thought about getting up and hitting you in the face.  I probably would have if that was my child or my wife you were insulting.  I think I have been in only two fist fights in my life (both before I was fifteen years old -- won one, lost one), but you were close to being my third.  I thought about the risk of becoming stupid myself (your condition can be contagious) just for the privilege of dealing with you the old fashioned way.  I would have tired quickly, but that is fine...I would have had time to recover on the ride home.
   As a white male, talented and smart and especially good-looking (ahem), I have had very few unkind slurs and flat-out meanness directed at me overtly during my growing-up days.  I understand that others have been victims of cut-downs and cruel words far more often than I have.  Perhaps you did me a favor by making me more aware of the power of words.  I am glad for your sake that God loves you.  Right now I am not thankful for the lesson, but I am thankful I did not bother to encounter you at that moment.  It would not have been worth it.
   Please change.  Understand that your bias is only poisonous to you.  But also be careful -- the next old man you insult might just pound your face in.

Sincerely,

Phil Warners
Related image"To laugh often and love much;
To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children;
To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends;
To appreciate beauty; to find the best in others;
To leave the world a bit better, 
Whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition;
To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived;
This is to have succeeded."
                                                                        Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)

 

3 comments:

  1. πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ» well said , hopefully some in his group did not agree with him

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent article! BTW, Connie asked for our address...
    Fred and Wilma Wind
    13331 Twin Hills Dr.
    Seal Beach, Ca 90740

    ReplyDelete