Wednesday, July 19, 2017

God Bless the U.S.A.



   NOTE: Everything that follows in this entry could be concluded with the phrase, "...he said to himself."  This is one of those rants that spins into a personal challenge of rediscovering what is true and vital and important in a world that is confused by such things.  Here goes:
USA_Flag    Maybe it is because I have always had an aversion to self-centeredness.  Maybe it is because I have always hated whining in any form.  Maybe it is because I am learning more about the plight of poverty and what it takes to live in a war-torn area and the inherent safety I have that I take for granted in this country.  Maybe my health issues of the last few months have honed my worldview in new ways, allowing me to see more clearly the fallacies of the way we do life in our country.   Regardless of the overriding reason, I have a gripe.  I am frustrated with people who have first-world problems and the ensuing list of American priorities that either stem from or lead us into this sheltered way of thinking.  Television and social media substantiate and encourage this faulty thinking:
  • A young professional woman was complaining on Facebook this morning that the health-club in her plush apartment complex was closed for cleaning when she wished to use it.  When describing this, she said, "This really sucks!"
  • Another social media post: "...hard to get going this morning without my Starbucks..."
  • Network television has a high percentage of pharmaceutical advertisements, promising relief from such maladies as dry eye, indigestion, restless leg syndrome, psoriasis, and dandruff.
  • From television we also are reminded daily that each of us deserves the best: the best car, the best sofa, the best loan, the best food, the best anything.  Not much in life is a privilege any more.  Even though I am not sure how we have done this, we have each earned the very best so we should just take it.
   When my thinking starts going in this sort of critical direction, I get judgmental about much of what I see.  Network news becomes worthless blather.  We hyper-focus on inconsequential issues and mindlessly soak in stories with jaded viewpoints.  We highlight the need for technology, better technology, newest technology.  We worry about the unimportant things like name brands, physical appearances, number of calories, types of vacations, and latest trends.  We allow television and social media to define who we are and what we deem as important. Heck, Facebook even keeps track of the number of friends I have.
   Where am I heading with this?  It is time to issue myself another personal challenge.  I must be careful.  I need to remember to sort out was is important and not to get sucked into what is unimportant.  I must teach my children to be critical and to notice the faulty selfish thinking that drives so much of this nonsense.  I must strip away the American influences and rediscover what is really important and how my life can best represent Jesus, his love for this world, and his impact on my life.  Remember the words of the apostle Paul?
"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, what ever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.  Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me--put into practice.  And the God of peace will be with you" (Philippians 4:8-9).  
   Learn to avoid nonsense.  Discover what is real.  Represent that to a confused world.  God bless the U.S.A.  We need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment