Sunday, July 30, 2017

Home Again

   We are at home again...well, our home that was once our home that has been more of a home for a longer time than any of our other homes. We are spending the week as participants in Upper Peninsula Bible Camp's Family Camp Week.  Our family is represented by four generations -- Connie's parents and my mother have come along, two of our children (Tem and Tessa) and our grandson Jesse as well.  This week is designed to spend time with each other and to learn and grow together.  The schedule is low-key and not hurried.  It is a little difficult to acclimate to such a schedule, especially for me since I almost always have a leadership role of some type when I am here.
   But what makes this our home-away-from-home is that we were on staff here for four years, Connie worked here as a teenager, our older children have worked here in various capacities, and I have served on the board and as a trip leader and speaker quite often. This has gone on for more than thirty years.  Whenever my family hears the word, "camp" this is the only place that comes to their minds.  While the word describes a place, the power of camp memories is rooted in the people.  The place can evoke great memories, but the great memories spring up from the strong and deep relationships that are formed at this place. Many of these relationships become life-changing and indelible.
Image result for upper peninsula bible camp   The common factor of each of these relationships is the bond we have in Jesus Christ.  The stories that echo around this place of the saints of old remind us that this bond transcends time.  Began as a mission camp in 1936, it now serves this region with various programs all year long.  People drive from Detroit, Chicago, Grand Rapids, and various places throughout the midwest to spend time of renewal.  Buildings and programs have been built up by people with faith and understanding that only comes from God.  As years pass by, the camp only gets stronger and more able to fill the spiritual needs for people while also providing great experiences and accommodations.  Home.  
   My health?  Good.  I am tired, but appetite seems to be returning slowly.  It is hard to run and jump and move, but I hope I can be more of a worthwhile camper this week that I could have been a few weeks ago.  I went kayaking this morning but basketball still is bit difficult.  Shooting the ball is hard when one has no leg muscles and no arm muscles.  Come to think of it, even though I haven't taken a nap in a couple of weeks, today I think I will.  After all, I am home.

1 comment:

  1. How great is it that you were able to go to camp,kayak, and eat !! ... so happy and thankful !

    ReplyDelete