Tuesday, July 25, 2017

One of Those Days...

   It's one of those days...not a lot of excitement, not a lot on the agenda, and not a lot of creativity or energy flowing through my soul.  It is the one day this week that is free from hoopla and marching brass bands.  Want proof?  Here goes:
  • On Sunday, July 23, my niece Julia, who has lived in Boston for the last three years, moved home to Grand Rapids...for two weeks.  She then will be on the move to Richmond, VA.  My nephew David and his wife from Memphis, TN just so happened to also be in town this weekend for a wedding. So obviously a great big Warners/Hilbrands Family party was necessary.  It was a lot of fun.
  • Yesterday (Monday, July 24) marked the tenth anniversary of Maggie's death (Maggie is my sister's daughter who died suddenly at age 12).  
  • Yesterday was also the sixth wedding anniversary for my daughter Abby and her husband Steve.  (Congratulations, you two!) 
  • Tomorrow (Wednesday, July 26) is my daughter Kate's birthday. (Happy Birthday, Honey!)
  • Thursday, July 27 is our wedding anniversary.  Now let me explain.  Contrary to what you might be thinking, we did NOT have a baby one day and then decide to get married the next.  We were actually married one year and 364 days BEFORE Kate arrived. I sensed it was imperative to clarify that for some of you.  
  • On Friday, July 28 we will be meeting our grandson and bringing him back home for a one-night slumber party so that...
  • ...on Saturday, July 29, we can all go together to Upper Peninsula Bible Camp for the week.
   Do you see what I mean?  Today is the ONLY day this week without some kind of emotionally exciting event(s) happening. If there is a good day for a boring health update, today is that day.  I should remind you that in my case, the word "boring" indicates good news.
   Once again yesterday I met with my transplant team to review plans and progress.  I had some questions for them and even received answers for some of those questions.  Overall, all is still well.  I gained all of four pounds in the last two weeks (I am glad I put those rocks in my pockets before stepping on the scale) and the other numbers are still all within the realm of "normal."  I am allowed to start driving longer distances as long as I have a responsible driver along with me (makes me feel like I am 15 years old again).  I have permission to start school in a month (and this is by choice, unlike how some of my students will see the opportunity).  I should start tasting food as food again soon and that should help me gain weight.  I am now allowed to begin doing more exercising to add to my walking regimen, as long as I "don't push it" and "listen to my body," whatever those phrases mean.  My low blood pressure is still a bit of a concern, but the cardiologist is working on that for us.  Progress is coming, but slowly.
   I still find myself being impatient and wanting to know all of the details and the accompanying time frames for just how this journey will all play out.  But I know that is not how this game is played.  I will continue to move forward and try not to be concerned with the details.  I probably tried to do too much yesterday (I didn't "listen to my body" as well as I should have) because I am stiff and sore and tired today.  The doc said there would be days like this.  So much for my excitement about exercise -- that will definitely have to come slowly.
   It's just one of those days...a little blah, a little tired, but better days are coming.  I do have to get these rocks out of my pockets now before Connie runs my pants through the wash.  Thanks for checking in.

No comments:

Post a Comment