Monday, July 3, 2017

A Small Adventure


   We decided to turn a simple errand into a small adventure.  We have a truck now (well, Connie has the truck -- I still cannot drive much) so thought we should use it for "truck things."  We loaded it down with two mattresses, a box spring, a bed frame, and some random overnight things,  tied it all down with ropes and carabiners, and drove three hours to northwest Ohio to our daughter and son-in-law's house.  The bed needed to be delivered because it is our grandson's new "big boy bed." Since we did not have to be back for Connie's work on Monday, this simple errand that could have been accomplished in seven hours or so has become a Sunday-until-Tuesday getaway.  It makes no sense to drive all that way and not play around for a while with the funniest grandson in the history of the world.
  A simple errand becomes a small adventure though for other reasons.  This is my first overnight experience away from home or hospital in months.  I have to take a lot of meds with me and plan things out differently.  I have to make sure I have a sufficient collection of gloves and masks. I have to think ahead to how much energy I should use for this or that because I don't know if I will have the chance to nap and catch up.    Besides, I may need some of that energy when a ballgame breaks out with my favorite two-year-old.  
   It might be asked, "Why take what is simple and make it more difficult?"  That one has an easy answer.  Simple can be convenient, but what is difficult becomes adventurous, and adventure is life.  This is what living is all about -- laughing with family (we told our grandson to keep his eye on the ball as he was getting ready to hit one off the tee; he took us literally -- see below), playing games, loving, giggling, reconnecting, bringing attention to the intimate again, even if it means leaving home, packing up meds, and getting really tired.
  Simple errands becoming small adventures...it should happen more often.

Image may contain: one or more people, people playing sports, grass, outdoor and nature
"Keep your eye on the ball, Jesse!"  Check.
                                       


1 comment:

  1. I have to think the time spent with adorable little boy and his parents was well worth the inconvenience you experienced! Good for you.

    ReplyDelete