Monday, June 5, 2017

Release: Part I


  UPDATE

   (From 10:30 am): Ok, hold the phone.  We have an update worth updating: the docs are talking about letting me go home either today or tomorrow! I am at Day +11 right now and nobody leaves before Day +13.  The numbers are coming back well with two notable exceptions -- hemoglobin (7.0) and platelets (15).  The platelets is a bit of a mystery since I have had two transfusions of platelets in the last few days. Also the low hemoglobin keeps me feeling really tired, but I can feel tired at home as easily as I can at the hospital.  But the white blood cell count is up (3.00 from yesterday's 0.65), the absolute neutrophil count is rising (1.47 compared to yesterday's 0.24), and doctors are smiling.  When I can make doctors smile, I am doing well.  Stay tuned...we will see if this glimmer of good news is more than just gossip...

   UPDATE (From 9:00 pm): I was released this afternoon from the hospital and am now at home.  I should be excited but honestly I am a little nervous about it.  While the white counts are good, the hemoglobin is low enough to have the docs consider a transfusion.  This all translates into having very little energy for moving or even sitting up.  I am still not eating much either and now all of the nursing duties assumed by the gifted group from 5C fall on my wife.  While laying out in the hammock in the back yard this afternoon (thanks, Marty!) was a spectacular experience, I don't want my presence at home to be such a burden to her.  Please pray us through these next couple days of transition.  Pray that I start eating soon and that the hemoglobin count starts to climb.  We also are not ready to receive a large amount of visitors just yet.  Please be patient.  Thanks.

3 comments:

  1. Great news!!! I suppose you can listen to Don Williams at home too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What??? Yeah and hurrah!! Prayers sent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome news! Praying for continued strength!

    ReplyDelete