Tuesday, June 13, 2017

A Health Report


   So as you could surmise from the last few journal entries, I have been a bit out of touch for the last week or so.  Connie has been the primary writer recently because I couldn't muster the energy to sit up and do my job.  So today I offer a few retrospective and introspective thoughts (that sounded pretty deep -- sorry about that):

  • "Re-admittance" is now one of my least favorite hyphenated English words.  I was so disappointed on Friday (Day +15) when I had to come back.  But then again I was relieved because I knew something was wrong and I hated to put the burden of my health care on my wife's shoulders. What she was going through was way above her pay grade.  Letting the experts on 5C take care of things is better.
  • The fever is what brought me back in.  But then we found my lungs were also filling with fluid.  Without the simple ability to measure my temperature we might not have discovered the fluid in the lungs or the potential damage to the heart until it was too late to correct things.  
  • Weakness in any fashion is so humbling.  I cannot stand being the one the nurses are poking, the doctors are studying, and the techs are monitoring.  I cannot stand lying in bed, then trying to go for a walk that ends up being four laps around the hallway (yes, 18 laps is still a mile) before I am too tired to keep going.  
  • I need to eat.  I have gone three weeks without really eating well.  Be thankful for hunger and thirst, people.  These two God-given urges tell you when to eat and drink and honestly make the whole experience so much more pleasurable.  I desperately want to be hungry again.
  • Other than a three-day hiatus, I have been in this isolated ward since May 18.  They are now talking about allowing me to try going home again tomorrow.  I gotta make it work this time.  I don't want to come back here.
  • My family went to work on a project at my house on Saturday that I have wanted to do for ten years.  They took a tree out, prepped an area for cement, worked in the garden, and trimmed up some other stuff.  Bless you Marty, Gary, Dave, Micah, Ben, Jan, Myra, Mark, Tem, and anyone else who took part.  I have not even seen the results of your labors yet.  
   OK, nap time.  Connie, your writing is just a small reflection of how much you are taking care of me.  You are the best.  Jim, Tom, Scott, Myra, Gary, Mom, your visits are so meaningful and important. Thank you.  Talk to you soon.  Thanks for all your continued prayers. They are needed.  Keep going.

3 comments:

  1. Stay strong!!! Pray for you and your family daily!!! Spent 9 months on 5C with Jensen and his leukemia 6 years ago. It was home away from home. They are great people!!! God bless!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phil,
    I just found out what you have been going through. Jan and I are praying for you. Hang in there my friend.
    Thom Ritzema

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so good to read your words. It must mean you are feeling a tad bit better. I will be praying that you feel hungry - that some sort of food actually sounds good to eat! Please Jesus, bring it!

    ReplyDelete