Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Cancer Survivor Day


   Today is day +13.  We spent another day at Lemmen Holton getting IV fluid and potassium.  Phil's hemoglobin has gone up to 7.8 so he doesn't need blood.  That is good news.  But he isn't really taking much in as far as far as fluid goes and definitely is not ready for food yet so that is probably affecting his potassium level.  We will return every day for about 3 or 4 hours of IVs but that is better than being in the hospital.  I think.  I've had many mini panic attacks.....there is a list of about 15 things to watch for and I've been instructed to call ASAP if any of these things are off at all and at times some of them have been.  I feel like I need a nurse.....oh wait, I am one.  But maybe an extra nurse.  Oh wait.....I have one.  Thank God, Abby showed up at just the right time!!  It was so nice to have an extra person to hear everything today and remember the questions I wanted to ask and then remember the answers to those questions!  And it was even Cancer Survivor Day!!  So in honor of the survivor that we know Phil is and will be, Abby and I ate cake.

Praise:  that Phil smiled at least a few times today and joked around with the nurse.  He wasn't doing that yesterday.

Pray:  that Phil will be able to take fluids and maybe even some food at some point soon.  That he will gain strength each day and be able to stay awake and alert for longer periods of time each day.  That he will be able to look to the future with hope, knowing that he will feel good again.

Also, the sun is shining and I think it is almost summer break so that gives us all reason to smile!

3 comments:

  1. Phil and Connie, what a long drawn-out process...we keep you in our prayers and want you to know lots of folks are pulling for you. For both of you, endurance and perseverance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. praying that I get to see you hustling( you are always a fast walker ) through the woods ... I always think of you when I am
    " bushwacking " with a group of kids behind me
    And whisper a prayer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please call me if I can help in a nursing/medical way. Seriously. Praying is a given.

    ReplyDelete