Sunday, March 26, 2017

Australia Is Not Really an Option


   According to a book I used to read to my children, I should have moved to Australia yesterday.
   Remember the old childhood book Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No-Good, Very Bad Day?  In the story a little boy named Alexander goes through a difficult day.  Things go wrong, nothing gets resolved, and he becomes overwhelmed.  Much of what he endures is not earth-shaking, but the cumulative nature of it all is his undoing.  He repeats the title line several times, with the adage "...I think I'll move to Australia."  Well, moving to Australia was not really an option for me yesterday, but if I wanted to count up the difficulties of the day and not let them go as Alexander did, a move to Australia should have been considered.
   I did not feel well yesterday.  The truck ran me over again.  I slept on and off, but mostly had the chemo-based nausea that just did not want to abate.  It was nothing I haven't felt before, but somehow yesterday it seemed more difficult to deal with than some of the previous rounds.  Maybe I am just getting sick and tired of being sick and tired or maybe I am becoming more of a wimp...I don't know, but it was hard yesterday.  Besides that:
    Image result for map of australia
  • It was rainy and cold all day -- a drop of about 30 degrees from Friday's temperature and the rain never stopped all day.
  • Connie made some scallops and they did not sound good to me at all.  I normally love scallops. That is just wrong.
  • We cleaned the top of the refrigerator and I found a paper that I really needed...three years ago. I don't need it any more.
  • Grand Rapids Christian High School lost their bid for a Michigan Class A state championship in basketball.  Clarkston High School beat the Eagles 75-69 in the finals at the Breslin Center.
  • Wauseon High School lost as well in the Division 2 bracket of the Ohio state championship game, 45-30.  They played St. Vincent-St. Mary of Akron, LeBron James' high school.
  • Gonzaga University won in the NCAA basketball tournament.  I needed them to lose. What a dumb name for a college anyway.
  • My van has a soft tire...
  • ...and when I went drive it to the gas station to pump it up, the engine would not hold its idle.  
  • The dog threw up.
   I know, I know...moving to Australia would not solve anything.  We have friends living there and I am only assuming they have a few problems every once in a while too (am I right, Josh and Brynda?).  And when I look at my list, it is a bit ridiculous and childish, just like in the book.  While a move to Australia may represent a fresh start, a blank slate, a do-over, so does a new day. Saturday is over...Sunday is here.  That's good news.  Let's see what happens.  I won't book passage for Australia just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment