Monday, March 6, 2017

Pondering the End of the Weekend


   As the weekend disappears into Monday morning, my upcoming week does not include deadlines, whistle stops, or due dates.  I am still waiting.  I have labs sometime this week, and then at some point I need to meet with the folks who will be doing my stem cell transplant but neither of those times are arranged yet.  Maybe I will try to take in a ball game later this week.  I will try to get to the grocery store and even make a meal.  My life is frankly quite surreal in its lack of structure and its attention to the necessity of personally getting well.  I really don't like it anymore -- it is all too self-absorbed, too introspective.
   But really what I am going through is simply an interruption.  I have met and have seen and have been aware of so many that are facing far more difficult situations than I am facing.  I have been humbled by the perseverance of people who should -- by earthly standards -- really just give up.  I have been encouraged by stories of charisma and effervescence through the worst of circumstances.  I have reflected on this point before and for some reason I needed to revisit this thinking today.  What makes this all do-able for people?  "Oh, the power of the human spirit," it can be said.  Nah, I don't think so.  It begins with the knowledge that life is precious and that God has offered it to us for his reasons.  We are here to impact, love, and encourage other people.  Others must be seen as more important than ourselves.  That knowledge allows people like Tim and Steve and Scott and Howie and Nancy to keep going.  But we each also have the knowledge that this life ain't all there is.  There's more...there's always more.
   I have an upset stomach.  I have no energy.  But I have it all.  I have everything I need.  Let's go.  I guess I just needed to think this all through again.

No comments:

Post a Comment