Friday, March 24, 2017

The Final Round: Chemo and State Championships


   Twenty-four hours ago my last round of chemo entered my system.  This milestone is a landmark on the journey I am on.  As I explained before, it is tempered by the fact that I have a stem-cell treatment on the horizon and I don't know when or how long or the other nuts-and-bolts details of this procedure, so I feel as though I am not as excited as I should be (although I did wear a suit and tie to chemo yesterday to celebrate -- my nurse loved it). One day at a time...
   I am feeling alright for now.  I will get another bag of fluids this afternoon to prepare for that truck coming around the corner, but for now I have the typical post-chemo nausea and heaviness.  But again, one day at  a time...
   Basketball has been a nice distraction for me.  I have always loved basketball and lately I have been following three different basketball stories.  The NCAA's March Madness is in full swing and we have a family bracket contest going on.  My daughters each married smart guys because Steve and Jimmy are currently in first and second place respectively.  Me? Next to last (Villanova and Duke broke my heart and my bracket).  Who am I beating?  My grandson Jesse.  He was holding out hope for Bucknell to make the Final Four.  It's nice to know I can beat a two-year-old at this kind of thing, but I never do well in the March Madness bracket challenge.  
   Meanwhile, Jimmy and Kate's hometown high school (The Wauseon Indians) will be playing for a Division 2 Ohio state championship tomorrow.  In about five hours undefeated Grand Rapids Christian High School will be tipping off in the Michigan Class A semi-finals.  That team is coached by my brother and one of my nephews is a starter.
   Basketball is a big deal.  To the players and fans and hometowns and families, it is all a big deal.  What a joy it is to rally around a team that is striving to become something great.  We all appreciate that kind of effort and somehow we want to support that.  We know we cannot be out on the floor in the game with the team passing and dribbling and playing defense, but we can cheer and encourage our teams in their endeavors.
   This is how I feel about you all.  Many of you reading this have not been on the floor with me as I do battle against whatever comes next.  Some of my best supporters I have not even seen since this battle began (thanks Charlie, Tom, Lori, Randy, and others).  But you have rallied around me.  You have cheered me on.  You have supported me in ways that continually amaze and surprise me.  The gifts and the prayers and the thoughts I have received have been such an encouragement during this battle.  They have come in so many forms: texts...messages...cards in the mail...special events at school (even a special fundraising project by five boys at a school I don't even teach at!)...food...rides to and from appointments...gifts...and more.  It all adds up to crazy support and love.
   What comes next?  Basketball will be over before my fight with cancer is completed, but with this kind of support, I will keep going.  I can finish strong.  Besides, when basketball is over, baseball will be here to distract me.  That should also keep me going a while.  Before the Detroit Tigers win the 2017 World Series about eight months from now, I will be cancer-free and enjoying life.  But one day at a time, sweet Jesus.  Here we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment