Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Two Attitudes About Tomorrow


   Tomorrow.  This is the day I was looking forward to when this whole journey began back in December because tomorrow I will receive by sixth and final round of chemotherapy.  I should have ended that sentence with an exclamation point but I opted to end it with a period because I find myself feeling ambivalent toward what should be a significant event.  This bothers me.  I think my lack of enthusiasm at this point is because I have also been notified that I need to follow this all up with a stem-cell transplant.  In my mind, my naive and simple mind, I had hoped and even assumed that when chemo was done, I would be ready to resume real life without any more treatments.  While I understand completely the need for this transplant I wish it wasn't to be.  I want to be done.  But I need a new attitude.
   I am blessed.  I know that.  My friends Becky and Scott are both at the beginning stages of chemotherapy.  Please pray for them. Becky's treatments begin tomorrow and Scott just started his rounds this week; meanwhile, I am twenty-four hours away from being done.  But this transplant...it looms, with all of its discomfort, interruptions, and the long list of prerequisites I must accomplish.  None of it all is impossible.  All of it is inconvenient.  But come on, Phil...let's go.
   The Appalachian Trail runs for 2185 miles from Georgia to Maine.  Ninety percent of those who "thru-hike" the trail begin in the south and spend between five and seventh months working their way northward. The goal for north-bound hikers is Mount Katahdin in Maine.  Most of these backpackers eagerly anticipate their first view of Katahdin and ultimately the final climb that signifies completion of the trek.  But I have met more than one hiker who slips into a nearly depressive state as this day approaches.  Thirty years ago, as we approached the end of the trail, we met a woman named Wanda ("The Wanderer") who dealt with her anxiety by summiting Katahdin and then simply "flip-flopping."  Not knowing what else to do, she just turned around and started walking south back to Georgia.
   Why such a bizarre choice?  I think she had no goals for what would come after her time on the trail was done.  There were no "post-Katahdin" plans.  She felt she had no place in this world except the identity she had created for herself on the trail.  What is the rest of her story?  I have no idea, but at the time I found this to be a remarkable--and sad--phenomenon.
   I need to keep my eyes on the end results.  I need to know that there is life for me after this experience.  I need to realize that all of this discomfort and frustration will be rewarded with health and excitement.  I just have a little detour called a stem-cell transplant in the way.  It makes no sense to turn around now and wallow in my ennui.  It makes no sense to NOT celebrate tomorrow's chemotherapy session.  I need to just keep moving forward until it is all completed...detours and all.  Adjustments will have to be made but the goal is still the same goal.  So let me rephrase: Tomorrow is the day that I receive my sixth and final chemo treatment!! Praise Jesus because, after all, even this pending stem-cell treatment can be conquered!! Come on, Phil...let's go!!
 

4 comments:

  1. Tomorrow is the next step!! We are still praying!! We will keep praying for the next step after that!! I'm glad you ended your post with exclamation points!! PS. I have added ennui to my vocabulary...Lord, let us all escape any ennui of life and live by faith. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for watching this blog, Charlie. Our friendship is as old as the hills and as valuable as gold. I am glad I was able to add to your personal vocabulary today too. We keep going!

      Delete
  2. Tomorrow is a celebration. You have been resilient and have persevered through this. Your caregivers, have supported you to get you through it. God has held you and provided for you through this whole ordeal. It is good to celebrate these things. The end of chemo is not the end of the journey, but it is SO nice when your blood counts come back up and you can reenter society. It is a very difficult milestone achieved. As Corrie ten Boom said, “Now, I know in my experience that Jesus’ light is stronger than the biggest darkness.” Praying that your last chemo treatment goes well. Praying for Becky and Scott as they begin their treatments. Thank you for these beautiful reflections.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet Daddy W....You took a group of snot nose 3rd graders and turned us into​ Kleenex blowing 4th graders. That was no easy task. In 6th grade you took us on a journey through the Bible. By the way the key word for Ezekiel is not I repeat is not flasher as you told us... Harlot is the keyword. In 8th grade even though you were not our teacher you still impacted us with your wisdom and your honesty about life, growing up, who God is, and the importants of following Jesus. When phep died your willingness to sit on the floor with now greif struck 9th graders goes beyond expectations and shows volumes​ of your commitment to your students and that you care deeply for them.
    On behalf of the class of 1996 we say Thank you for teaching us what it means to follow Jesus no matter what the cost, to be fearless on the journey, and to keep moving forward on our walk with Jesus.
    As I close maybe just maybe Sweet Daddy W can come out of retirement, dust off the tux, and sing many more songs.

    ReplyDelete