Monday, February 27, 2017

The Sabbath


   I went to church yesterday.  I have been instructed that when I go to such gatherings, I should come in late, sit in the back, and make an escape before the end of the event so that I don't catch something from one of the other random worshippers.  I did all that, and still it was great to get to church.  I suppose one in my condition needs to be aware of such things, but I am glad that I am not a germaphobe by nature.  I think it would take a lot of fun out of life.  Just saying.
   The sermon topic was about the need for the Sabbath in our lives.  I found that to be a bit ironic for me since I have been somewhat "sabbathized" to the point of frustration for a while now.  Of course I am aware that it is not about another set of rules to follow as some traditions will hold (no bike riding, no going out to eat, to television, no work, etc), but instead about allowing rest into our lives because God modeled it.  Its importance is revealed by God during creation when after six days he rested.  God resting -- now that's a concept that throws my head into a spin.  If he is all-powerful, why does he need rest?  I don't think he does, but he was modeling this concept for us even before sin entered the world.  It also shows up as one of the ten commandments and that seals the necessity for such a day as well.
   Rest.  I am trying to do that even though I feel fairly good right now.  I have my next round of chemo (number five out of a total of six) coming on Thursday.  I hate it.  It hits me hard.  Chemo seems to cause more discomfort than the cancer ever did.  In the meantime, I have a PET scan to look forward to tomorrow.  This serves as the opportunity for the docs check out how my innards are doing.  They will be looking for how and where the cancer is abating and compare these findings to a scan I had before chemo started.  I feel as though this is a bit like a quiz.  How are we doing?  Is the medicine working well?  Are there problem areas left?  When I go hunting by myself, I cannot find lumps and bumps anywhere so I have to believe that progress is being made.  I guess we will find out.
   All in all, life is still good.  My daughters are coming to babysit me through chemo this week.  I was able to go to school each of the last two days.  I am sleeping better.  I am still as handsome as I have always been, other than my Michael Jordan haircut.  I continue through this looooooonnngggg Sabbath to have hope for many more years here on earth.  When one has health, one takes it for granted.  Celebrate your health today.  By the way, if you rest every so often -- like one day out of seven -- I am sure that will help too.

No comments:

Post a Comment