Thursday, February 9, 2017

The News of the Transplant


   I had a full day today -- labs (not the dogs but the blood draws), visit with the doctor, then Chemo Round Four.  My daughter Kate came up from Ohio to just hang out with me for the duration of the day and to get beat in cribbage.  Right now, all is relatively well.  I had a bit of a mental set back that I since have had time to process, but it was disappointing when I heard it.  The doctor informed me that with the rare strain of lymphoma I have, he is advocating for me to finish the chemo rounds, but then I will also be having stem cell treatments.  This will mean a two-week stay in the hospital with heavy chemo during that time.  They will take cells from me, cultivate them, and then put them back in.  At least that is how I understand the process to work.  While I am the patient, I am a simple-minded one and did not fully comprehend all of what will go on or even all of what the doctor said.  At first, this was a big disappointment to me.  I wanted to be done with this when the chemo rounds were done.  But Connie, Tom, Lynn and my mom each had the chance to talk me down a bit.  If this is going to increase the chances that The Big Nasty is going to get its butt kicked,  I have to go through with it.
   So what does this all mean?  Well, it means I am still not in control of my own schedule, much alone my own destiny.  At this point that news should come as no surprise to me or anyone else.  I am hoping that I can still return to school after spring vacation and postpone the hospital stay until the first two weeks of summer vacation.  That would be what I want to do.  I guess we will have to wait until early April when I have a pre-consultation meeting (Why is it a "pre"-consultation?  I don't know.  I am the simple-minded one, remember? But honestly, that is what the doctor called it.)  In other words, we will proverbially cross that proverbial bridge when we proverbially get to it.  Interpreted, that still means, "One day at a time, sweet Jesus..."  I guess it is time for me to live that out all over again.  OK then, let's go.  God, my family, my friends, you and me - we are all a part of the team.  Bring it.  Let the battle continue.
"Have I not commanded you?  
Be strong and courageous.
Do not be terrified;
do not be discouraged, 
   for the Lord your God will be with you
wherever you go." (Joshua 1:9)

No comments:

Post a Comment