Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Complaints and Blessings


   Chemo Round Four has not been easy.  I hate chemo almost as much as I hate cancer.  The unsettled stomach, the constant queasiness, and the consistent exhaustion all lead me to the brink of never wanting to do anything ever again.  This is not good.  This is not me.
   That's how I feel.  Identifying it helps me to conquer it -- well, at least to know what I need to fight against.  So I think I have my marching orders for today: to keep going forward, even though energy and appetite are lacking.  I have had some real bonuses today and need to be reminded of them:

  • My school system's chief administrator called to ask how I was doing and to bring me up to speed on available sick days -- of which there are none -- but I definitely heard a man who is willing to be in my corner.
  • My school will be hosting a benefit dinner for our family next month -- as if they haven't done enough already.  
  • I started a conversation with Adam today, a young father from our school who has been diagnosed with a brain tumor.  Hard times can begin good friendships.  
  • Morgan's mom brought a wonderful dinner last night and with it was a card from Morgan, one of my students.  It was an unexpected blessing.  
  • Tim Shaw spoke last night at East Kentwood High School.  Two of my sons accompanied me.  Don't worry -- Ben drove.  But the evening was great. Tim is the man.
  • While there we sat with two friends, Rob and Steve, whom I haven't seen in too long.  They were an encouragement to me.  
   I gripe, I complain...and everywhere I go I am blessed.  Thanks, God.  I know...just wait.

2 comments:

  1. So glad you could converse with Adam. You both seek God's heart in your actions and conversations. Blessings on you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you for sharing your journey with us! Praying God will continue to sustain you and give you reminders of his light and love. I second Kristin's comments about your contact with Adam. Like you, he faithfully trusts, follows and reflects Jesus!

    ReplyDelete