Thursday, August 31, 2017

Face to Face

Image result for face to face with jesus   The first week of school is now done. This first week lasted three-and-a-half days.  I know...it hardly counts.  But we will call it a week because those of us who work at school are tired as we get used to "schoolness" all over again.
     One of my goals with seventh graders is to help them understand that the people of the past were real people with flesh and bones and feelings and emotions and such.  At our school we are able to start each day with a Bible reading and devotions. This week I was showing my students (and learning myself) a bit about the reactions different people had when they first met Jesus.  It is a rather interesting exercise because it begs the question, "What would I have done if I had met Jesus face to face?"
  • Peter witnessed a miracle of a large catch of fish when he first met Jesus (Luke 5).  His response was one of shame and fear: "Go away from me, Lord, for I am a sinful man!" Yet he soon dropped everything and followed Jesus for the next three years.
  • The blind beggar knew that Jesus could heal him (Luke 18).  To get the attention of Jesus, he sat by the side of the road and yelled and screamed, even though the crowds were telling him to be quiet.  His request was simple and straightforward:  "Lord, I want to see."  His faith and persistence were rewarded by Jesus with the miracle of restored sight.
  • The twelve-year-old version of Jesus wowed the teachers and the priests at the temple. "Everyone who heard him was amazed of his understanding and his answers" (Luke 2:47).  Meanwhile of course his parents had been looking frantically for him for three days...imagine the anxiety this would cause the typical American parents of today.  Yet Jesus' response was calm: "Didn't you know I had to be in my Father's house?" (Luke 2:49 - italics added). 
  • The Roman centurion had a very ill servant and approached Jesus with a request for healing (Matthew 8).  His quiet understanding is fascinating, considering he was a Roman citizen and a leader of soldiers representing Caesar.  "I do not deserve to have you come under my roof.  But just say the word, and my servant will be healed" (Matthew 8:8).
   Ashamed...bold...amazed...contemplative: What would my first reaction have been if I could have met Jesus face to face while he was on earth?  My guess is that I would have been all of those things rolled up into one excitable package.  But perhaps I need to be more in awe of him today.  I never met Jesus in his human form while he was on earth (I am old, but not that old), but I have met and do know Jesus.  He knows and loves me. So where is my awe and excitement?  I don't want to take him for granted.  I don't want to get to be so familiar with Jesus that I forget to be amazed and surprised and humbled.  I should be more amazed than what I am when I think about the Lord.  Being in Jesus every day should always keep me in awe. Perhaps I should meet him for the first time...again.

I can only imagine what it'll be like when I walk by your side
I can only imagine what my eyes will see when your face is before me
I can only imagine...I can only imagine.

Surrounded by Your glory, what will my heart feel?
Will I dance for you Jesus, or in awe of You be still?
Will I stand in your presence or to my knees will I fall?
Will I sing hallelujah? Will I be able to speak at all?
I can only imagine...I can only imagine.

I can only imagine when that day comes when I find myself standing in the Son
I can only imagine when all I would do is forever, forever worship you.
I can only imagine...
                                                                                       -- Bart Millard (b. 1972)


1 comment:

  1. Amen, Phil!!! And congratulations on your first week at school done! God has blessed you!

    ReplyDelete