Sunday, August 6, 2017

Back in G-Rap -- Time For A Health Update

Reference Map of Michigan   We are at our Grand Rapids home again.  We returned from our jaunt to the U.P. last evening, and then we made one more road trip this morning.  Connie and I drove to Jackson to bring Jesse halfway home while Kate and Jimmy drove up northwest Ohio to meet us at the local Bob Evans restaurant which has become "The Halfway Hand-off Spot."  It was a great time visiting with them over breakfast and hearing more about their eleven-day expedition to the North Atlantic.  While we loved hearing their stories about camping in Iceland, I honestly think Kate was more interested in hearing about all of what her boy did at camp.  While Jimmy liked the stories too, he spent much of the post-meal time playing with his son as the two of them entertained each other.   I love how they partner as parents and do different things well.  But already we miss having Jesse around with us...he brings life and excitement everywhere he goes.  I love being a grandpa.  And Connie is definitely the  world's best grandmother (best looking one too).
   My health continues to improve slowly.  People who see me somewhat infrequently will often remark how I am looking better all the time (it reminds me of how ugly I must have been).  I acknowledge that I am improving, but I still know that I have a ways to go.  We visited Laughing Whitefish Falls last week and we hiked down and then came back up about 100 stairs.  The down part was no problem, but coming up again reminded me of how I need to get that endurance and stamina back.  I had to stop a couple of times to catch my breath. But then again, the trip back up would have been much harder two weeks or a month ago.  I will be having another echocardiogram this week to see if my heart might be part of the reason climbing is still so hard for me and/or if it is all related to my consistently low blood pressure (And yes, by the way..."Laughing Whitefish" is the actual name of the place. The waterfalls is so named because it is a part of Laughing Whitefish River.  So why is it named "Laughing Whitefish" in the first place? I don't know.  Just go with it or do your own Google search.  I believe quirky names make life more enjoyable.  Just ask those folks who live in Walla Walla, WA, No Name, TN, or Hell, MI.)
   I also need to gain weight.  Twenty pounds are still needed.   I know...nobody seems to pity me when I say I have this issue, but this should allow me to enjoy increased energy too.  But different foods still have some bad tastes to them.  Dairy products and sweets are stressors on my tastebuds, so as you can imagine, ice cream is particularly nasty.  Sad, but true.
   I am still experiencing muscle stiffness and soreness whenever I do anything the least bit strenuous.  This makes trying to begin an exercise regimen frustrating.  I have no muscle tone whatsoever in my atrophied body; frankly, this was never one of my strong suits even prior to cancer.  Now I have to start over from scratch.  I never had a future in body building competitions, but I do need to get started with the basics soon.  Right now a strong wind could land me in the next county.
   But I was reminded again this week in so many ways of how blessed I am.  So many of the people I met at camp have hard things they are going through too.  While my issue is cancer, others have their own heartaches.  I renewed my vow to be more of a praying man for these people.  I need to remember that I am not alone in my suffering; in fact, many people are wading through difficult things in their lives.  "In this world you will have trouble," Jesus said, "But take heart, for I have overcome the world"  (John 16:33).  I am home, but I need to keep praying for other people and work to keep my eyes off myself.
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Phil, thankful to hear of your progress and answers to prayer, and your honesty in the midst of struggle...will continue to pray for your healing

    ReplyDelete
  2. So great to see you Phil. Will be praying for continued strength!

    ReplyDelete