Thursday, April 27, 2017

New Hardware, The Orange Bucket, and Crystal


   Today I was a busy boy.  I had an event-packed morning.  I had a new piece of hardware surgically installed on the right side of my chest, I had more blood taken out of me, I received three injections of neuprogen that is now working in my bone marrow, I delivered 24 hours worth of urine to the lab (one of my least favorite tests so far on this journey -- peeing into a bucket for an entire day and then keeping it just to pass it along to perfect strangers who pretend to be happy to receive it seems more than a little weird), and I heard more details regarding the stem cell transplant that is coming up than I could possibly remember.  This was all before lunch time.  On Monday I go back to the hospital to start the stem cell harvesting.
   And just about the time when I am becoming overwhelmed by all the new gadgets and information,  I see Crystal, a friend of mine who is a nurse on the infusion floor.  She meets me and gives me a hug and a smile.  Her timing in the midst of my haze could not have been better.  Then just as I was leaving the treatment center for the day, still feeling a bit overwhelmed, I received a hug and a smile from David, a friend whom I have not seen in years, and is facing bladder cancer.  And on my way home,  I realize once again the blessings I have in relationships with people. I also remember that my wife has been at my side since 6:15 this morning, and that she is also going home with me to make sure I am doing fine.  It was great to see Crystal.  It was wonderful to see David.  But I have the incredible privilege of living with Connie.  Life is good.
   (By the way, I slept most of the afternoon.  After all, it was a busy morning and a man my age can only take so much excitement -- but at least I don't have to pee into that bucket anymore.)

2 comments:

  1. Daily prayers from Ohio for a peaceful weekend and a successful Monday as you enter the second half of the 4th quarter.

    In that the Pistons are done you are welcome to cheer for the Cavs. That would be a small step towards cheering for the Buckeyes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Phil. Just found out you are going through this battle. Thanks for sharing the updates and I will be praying with you for the stem cell treatment to be successful, and for the cancer to be wiped out. Mary

    ReplyDelete