Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Zesty Fun Facts

   You can find out a lot about a group of people when you spend an overnight with them in a small bunkhouse.  You can find out even more about them when you ride on a school bus with them for an hour and a half...two days in a row.  About fifty of us from school (43 students, 3 teachers, and a few random but invaluable parents) experienced a 24-hour excursion together to a camp near Lake Michigan to kick off our school year.  We were taught lessons on leadership, working together, community, and courage by the camp staff.  Trust, teamwork, communication, and cooperation were the buzz words our hosts used often.  It was a wonderful way to watch students interact and work together.
   But besides those lessons, there were others that I gleaned along the way, and many of them made me smile.
Image result for school bus
  • I learned that Anna likes the word "zesty."  It was a funny story that we will just keep to ourselves.  But trust me...it was funny.
  • I learned that Cam will not stop drinking when the fountain drinks are free and available.  I thought the boy was on the verge of drowning so I closed down the bar.
  • I learned that there still is a "wow" factor for thirteen-year olds when they encounter sand dunes and rainbows.
  • I learned some unnamed seventh grade boy can snore with the best of them.
  • I learned that one of them can also pass gas in his sleep...no kidding.
  • I learned I have to stop calling Taylor by her sister's name.  
  • I learned that Connor has Jewish blood.
  • I learned what a "po-po car" is.
  • I learned that after twenty-four hours of intermittent rain mixed with adolescent perspiration, dirty laundry, and Doritos (nacho cheese flavor, of course), the aroma left behind in a school bus can be a bit pungent.
  • I learned other little and sundry things about this group of students that makes me smile and know that we are in for a good year.  I have once again been impressed with how patient students can be with each other, how much fun they can have together, and how much fortitude many really have when things become difficult. I also noted that several of them need to improve in these areas as we chip away at their own insecurities and social handicaps.  
   I like these kids.  Oh sure, some have rough edges we will have to polish, and some have not been given the same opportunities as others to excel in school and in life.  But I was able to see each one as an image bearer of God who then fully deserves my honor and respect and love and care.  I am excited to be around students again after being on vacation from them for too long.  And I will do my best this year to not let the little things that used to bother me become issues. Besides, middle schoolers are a lot more fun than adults.  When was the last time adults enjoyed a word like "zesty" so much they giggled every time it was mentioned?

No comments:

Post a Comment