Monday, September 18, 2017

My Regular Oncologist

Image result for report card grades   I had a doctor's appointment today with my "regular oncologist."  This term, "regular oncologist," is a term that I had never thought I would be using a year ago at this time.  But it meant that my bone marrow team has turned over the reins of my care back to my basic, every-day, run-of-the-mill cancer doctor.  He too is pleased with how things are going.  My labs were good, the scans are clear, I am slowly gaining weight (I still have to find fifteen more pounds somehow), and my progress is very good.  After today I don't even have to see the regular oncologist for three more months.  This is all great news.  He was surprised to hear that I have been back at work full-time for the last month or so and that, other than the tiredness that has become a part of who I am, I am progressing very well.
   This is all great.  I am thrilled for myself, my family, and my school community.  But I am also awaiting the news of the times that will be set for Brandon's funeral.  As I mentioned in the last post, I have a kindred soul named Brandon who just passed away from the very disease, non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, that I have been fighting.  Brandon also had a bone marrow transplant.  The juxtaposition of my good news stands in such stark contrast with the impending funeral procedures and associated grief Brandon's family must endure in the next few days and then months.  God does things in his way, on his terms.  His decision to allow me more time on this earth when others do not have that opportunity still confounds the minds of those of us going through these things.  Why save me?  Why take a 30-year-old father of two little boys?  If nothing else, such a contrast reminds me of the importance of each day and the responsibility I now have of living life to the fullest and to be ready to serve my God in whatever way I can.
   My hair is growing back.  My taste buds are slowly normalizing.  My endurance is gaining.  Even my weakened fingernails are getting stiffer.  I feel as though I have turned a proverbial corner today on toward renewed and renewing health.  Now comes the challenge of making each day count for something good and for working toward fitness and vitality.  It is good to have a regular oncologist.  It is even better to not have to see him for another three months.  Thank you, God.  Now empower me to do what I need to do with each day.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phil, This is good new, brother. We're so happy for you, and for your family and students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phil, I know know your brothers Dave, Gary and Marty better than I know you. Your story has inspired me to live each day seeking Gods plan for my life. There is so much we can accomplish if we seek Him first. Keep the faith and God bless you and your family!

    ReplyDelete