Thursday, October 5, 2017

The Adventure of My Job

Image result for temamen warners   It's October.  One year ago this month my diagnosis of lymphoma was confirmed.  God has blessed me by allowing me to continue this earthly life a little while longer.  While I strive to be a good husband and father, I am not always.  I try to do my best, to make a difference, to represent Jesus and his love in everything I do, but I fall short...often.  But I so love being a dad.
   I am also a teacher.  "Oh, you're a middle school teacher," someone inquired of me yesterday.  "What do you teach?"  This question is asked with the assumption that it will be followed by a subject or two.  I really strive to teach students.  I try to do my best, to make a difference, to represent Jesus and his love in everything at do at school too, but this also is difficult.  Here I often fall short as well. But you see, I cannot teach subjects without teaching students, and students can be tricky.  My job description is not too specific.  In fact, no sane person has ever attempted to write one.  So what is it I do?  Just what does a teacher do?
   A teacher plans lessons, grades papers, writes stuff on the board, goes to parent meetings, goes to faculty meetings, works on special projects, fills out forms, hangs stuff on bulletin boards, meets with other teachers, runs copies, takes kids home when they miss the bus, goes into Plan B mode automatically when the technology goes funky, monitors detention hour, and takes out the trash when the kids dump their marinara sauce and applesauce from lunch time into the trash can that had lost its liner four hours ago and is now buried at the bottom.  But a teacher doesn't always just "do;" teachers also "think." A lot. When I think about my students, it is always about making their lives better. I think a lot about connecting with students as individuals, like the student who is shy, the one who is lonely, and the one who just cannot sit still.  I think about the one who cannot do 10 divided by 2 without a calculator, the one who is a bully but comes from a home that is unstable, the one who doesn't care about grades and his parents are too busy to notice, the one who jabs his neighbor with a pencil, the one who is getting good grades but shows no emotions at all, the one who is far too overconfident, the one whose grandma just died, the one who smells a little bad, the one who stays up too late, the one who sneaks in snacks when asked not to, the one whose locker looks like a war zone, the one who is emulating the characters from the R-rated movies he has seen, the one who isn't ever listening, the one who lies to his mother while I am standing right there, the one who is always making excuses, the one who either will not or cannot write even semi-neatly, the one who calls other kids names without knowing the definitions of the labels he uses, the one who knows the right way but goes the wrong way, the one who always forgets to sign up for hot lunch, and the one who is in need of a bathroom way too frequently.  A teacher's job includes making a large amount of long-range decisions, a vast amount of short-range decisions, and an infinite amount of reactionary decisions.  A teacher needs to be in several places at once, and one of those places never seems to involve eating lunch in the teacher's lounge.
   As as teacher I have the most fascinating job imaginable.  It's October, and that means I have eight more consecutive months to grade papers, go to meetings, and make lesson plans...and to think about how to make the lives of children better.

4 comments:

  1. Now we're all wondering which student is our child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After perusing the online journals, the emotions truly get warmed up.
    resumeyard.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most prostate cancers are adenocarcinomas, cancers that arise in glandular cells of the prostate’s epithelial tissue. Prostate cancers usually progress slowly and produce no symptoms in the initial stages. Eventually, the tumor may enlarge like mine use too, the prostate gland, pressing on the urethra and causing painful or frequent urination and blood in the urine. So I was so uncomfortable with this prostate cancer diseases then I decided to do online search on how to cure cancer because I well have read a lot about herbal medicine, I came across a lot of testimony how Dr Itua cure HIV/herpes then Cancer was listed below the comment.with courage I contacted Dr Itua and he sent me his herbal medicine through Courier service then I was asked to pick it up at my post office which i quickly did. I contacted Dr Itua that i have received my herbal medicine so he instructs me on how to drink it for three weeks and that is how Dr Itua Herbal Medicine cure my prostate Cancer, The treatment takes three weeks and I was cured completely. Dr Itua is a god sent and I thank him every day of my life. Contact him now On:Email:drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/   Whatsapp:+2348149277967.
    He listed to that he can as well cure the following diseases below.... Cerebral Amides. Lung Cancer,Brain cancer,Esophageal cancer,Gallbladder cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,Hodgkin lymphoma Intestinal cancer,Kidney cancer,Leukemia,Liver cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,Multiple myeloma,Neuroendocrine tumors,Hodgkin lymphoma,Oral cancer,Ovarian cancer,Sinus cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Spinal cancer,Stomach cancer,Testicular cancer,Throat cancer,Thyroid Cancer,Uterine cancer,Vaginal cancer,Vulvar cancer. Alzheimer's disease,Autism,measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio and diphtheria Adrenocortical carcinoma. Alma, Uterine Cancer, Breast Cancer, Allergic diseases. Kidney cancer, Love Spell, Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Generalized dermatitis,Alzheimer's disease,Brain Tumor,Lupus,Endomertil Cancer, cerebrovascular diseases  
    Dementia.Colo rectal cancer, Lottery Spell, Bladder Cancer, Skin Cancer,Ovarian Cancer,Pancreatic Cancer, HIV /Aids,Brain Tumor, Herpes, Non-Hodgkin lymphoma, Inflammatory bowel disease, Copd, Diabetes, Hepatitis  

    ReplyDelete